Every one of us, as parents, will experience the teenage years. But what happened to the sweet little child that I used to know? Where does all of the attitude come from? What do I do about it?
My Texas friend Trey Gibson and I host this weekly podcast dedicated to family and parenting topics. Check out the show at The Real Family Guys Podcast Episode 14. You’ll find a new episode of us there every Friday.
Today’s topics include:
Sometimes when we get to the teenage years, we encounter a new person. Though they may look the same, they now have attitude. Often we are unprepared to handle this, and if we aren’t careful our conversations with them can spin out of control. There are ways for parents to address this successfully. Understanding where this attitude comes from helps tremendously. Today Trey and I discuss:
- Our thoughts on where attitude comes from
- Strategies for changing your response to attitude
- Why discipline and punishment probably won’t work
- Beginning to relate to your child as an adult
- How commanding respect can backfire
- What part servant and sacrificial leadership play
- Getting your child to repeat the right behaviors
But most of all, let us know what you want us to talk about! It can be an issue that you’re having, a news story that you’ve seen, a personal story about your family, and more. Simply use my Contact form or call 205-538-3234 to leave a message for me 24 hours a day.